Thursday 2 May 2013

Chris and Kris's Hash Browns


I've always liked hash browns I think of them as the chips of the breakfast world, I don't know if you agree with that but its how I like my starch in the morning, however, I don't really like most of the store bought ones and the recipes that I found online looked a bit plain and didn't seem to agree on how to cook them so I figured I'd make my own the way that I wanted to.




I was horribly injured during this fry up and had to hand over the cooking and preparing over to Kris only 5 minutes in and since this is a new recipe then shes just as responsible as I am, hence her name on the title!












I found the ideas here quite easy and fun, I didn't want to use eggs, I already had eggs in my breakfast, I wanted to use the starch from the potato, I wanted to grate first and cook later so I decided to part steam and part fry the mix. Its important to steam as it keeps a lot of the starch which would wash away with boiling, I also wanted them a bit lighter and sweeter so I added some carrots to the mix.

"Viola hash browns the way that I want them!"
Please try this out and let me know what you think.

Serves 2

Main ingredients:

  •  2 small to medium size floury potatoes
  •  2 small to medium carrots
  •  1/2 small to medium onion
  •  15-20 grams of unsalted butter
  •  1 tea spoon of sage
  •  1 tea spoon of rosemary
  •  1/2 tea spoon of sea salt
  •  1/2 tea spoon of black pepper.

To cook:

1. Clean and peel the potatoes and carrots.

2. In a clear microwavable bowl add the butter and herbs and put into the microwave on defrost for 30 seconds or until the butter melts, if you have Pyrex you could place it on a hob or into a pan with a little water. 


3. Peel the onion and cut into quarters.

4. Grate the potatoes, carrots and onion straight into a collider if your going to steam above a pan or into the container for the steamer if you have one.

5. Steam for 8-10 mins then place the grated mix into the bowl with the melted butter and add the salt and pepper.

6. Stir the mix with a spoon and roll into balls with your hands (see picture)


7. Place the balls onto a clean surface such as a cutting board and pat down with whatever instrument you think will do the job, we use a silicon spatula, you can pat them back into any shape that you want at this stage.


8. In a large pan pop whatever cooking oil you wish and fry until golden brown on each side.



9. Serve with what ever else you fancy, ideas could include bacon and eggs as we did, Wiltshire ham and eggs, you get the idea!


10. Enjoy.


Allergy advice:
Gluten free, Nut free.

Diet types:
Paleo friendly if you like potato.

No comments:

Post a Comment